about this image

CAPTAIN H.R. HUBBARD

PROMINENT PIONEER CITIZEN OF COMMUNITY SUCCUMBS

author: Unknown
published by: Unknown, circa 1926

The death of Captain H. R. Hubbard, which occurred at his home in the Boston Mills neighborhood Saturday night, April 10, at the age of 88 years, following an illness of eight days duration, marks the passing of one of the principal figures in the history of Cherokee County.

Harmon Root Hubbard was born in Glasonbury, Connecticut, January 13th, 1838. His parents, Jonathan and Caroline Root Hubbard moved that year to Illinois where he grew to manhood and enlisted in the United Sates army in 1861, the first year of the Civil War, at Mendon, Adams County, Illinois. He entered the First Illinois Cavalry, was promoted to the office of captain and was also transferred to Company A 119th Illinois Infantry from which he was mustered out in 1865 having been a prisoner for more than a year, three months of which was spent in the Andersonville prison.

Captain Hubbard came to Kansas in 1866 building the first brick house in the county in 1869 which was erected on the farm on Spring River five miles northwest of Galena where he has since resided. This house was built entirely of materials produced on the farm on which it was erected. In 1872 he was married to Miss Charlotte Ann Peters; to this union four children were born, Carrie, who died in infancy; Mrs. Daisy Janney of McRae, Montana, Mrs. Lucy Haug of Lavoye, Wyoming and Hubert H. Hubbard who resides in the old home.

Captain Hubbard was always active in the affairs of his community having been one of the early County Commissioners, and was justice of the Peace for many years; served two terms in the State Legislature, 1881 and 1887 and served his school district and Township for many years. He was a member of the Congregational Church in Mendon, Illinois, and was one of the old stalwart adherents of the party of Abraham Lincoln of the party of his first Presidential vote.

In the early seventies a grist mill known as Boston Mills, was erected on Spring River in the Hubbard farm, which was built and operated by Captain Hubbard. He also built an ice house near the mill from which Galena was supplied with ice. Joe Stallsmith was his associate in operating the ice plant.

Surviving, beside the daughters and son, are two sisters at Ft. Smith, Arkansas, Mrs. Carrie Denton and Miss Cornelia Hubbard, the latter being in her ninety-first year.

Funeral services were held Tuesday afternoon from the family residence, the Reverend J. S. Stapleton, pastor of the Presbyterian church officiating. Burial was in Messer cemetery beside his wife whose death occurred in 1900.

Harmon Hubbard's Headstone

About the H. R. Writings

harmon hubard photo 1

#1 photo of H. R. Hubbard (shown)

#2 photo of H. R. Hubbard